Principles of Wine in Moderation
- While the vast majority of consumers enjoy wine in moderation, a minoritymisuse alcoholic beverages in ways that can be damaging to themselves and that can harm others around them;
- Responsible and moderate consumption patterns of wine can be compatible with a healthy lifestyle;
- Wine is integral to many lifestyles and cultures across the world;
- Wine drinking patterns depend greatly upon local traditions, education, gender, age group and socio-economic factors; efforts to promote moderation should be tailored to the needs of each population;
- Efforts to promote moderation should be based on sound research, social and cultural aspects;
- The wine value chain brings an invaluable social, cultural, agricultural, environmental and economic contribution to regions and countries;
- All representatives of the wine sector – in every region and at every step of thevalue chain – have a role to play in finding the best ways to communicate about the value of moderation and to contribute to the reduction of harm from abusive and hazardous drinking.